Black folks are fed up!
Following the barbaric killings of Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile at the hands of racist police earlier this month, Black folks all over the country have sprang into action.
Using social media as our platform, Black and Brown faces have been spreading information regarding protests, rallies and boycotts breaking out from New York to California.
With the intent to dismantle this White supremacist system and strengthen our communities, one of the leading agendas has been to #supportblackbusinesses, namely Black-owned banks. So it’s no wonder that Black financial institutions all over the country have been experiencing a wave of new depositors.
President Michael Grant of the National Bankers Association, which promotes minority-owned financial houses, told USA Today that Black-owned banks have been getting “volume that you would not believe” in recent days.
“It’s not just happening in one location — it’s happening to banks around the country,” he said.
Celebrities like Solange Knowles and Killer Mike have aided in this surge of new accounts by pledging their allegiance to Black financial institutions.
Killer Mike alone provoked over 8,000 people to transfer at least $100 to Atlanta’s Citizens Trust, a Black-owned bank founded in 1921, through his #bankblack challenge. In just five days, his call to action help the bank rake in nearly $1 million.
Last week, Solo announced that she too would be transferring her funds to a Black bank, and this past Tuesday (July 18), Houston rappers joined forces to open accounts at Unity National,the only Black financial institution in the state of Texas, which has reportedly gotten more than 350 new accounts in recent weeks.
Two words: LET’S GOOOOOOO!
Check out a list of Black-owned banks and credit unions below (via Watch the Yard):
- Omega Psi Phi Credit Union – Lawrenceville, Georgia
- Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union – Washington, DC
- One United Bank – Los Angeles,California
- FAMU Federal Credit Union – Tallahassee, Florida
- Credit Union of Atlanta – Atlanta, Georgia
- North Milwaukee State Bank – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Seaway Bank – Chicago, Illinois
- The Harbor Bank- Baltimore, Maryland
- Liberty Bank – New Orleans, Louisiana
- United Bank of Philidelphia – Philidelphia, Penn
- Alamerica Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
- Broadway Federal Bank – Los Angeles, California
- Carver State Bank – Savannah, Georgia
- Capital City Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
- Citizens Trust Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
- City National Bank – Newark, New Jersey
- Commonwealth National Bank – Mobile, Alabama
- Industrial Bank – Washington D.C.
- First Tuskegee Bank – Tuskegee, Alabama
- Mechanics & Farmers Bank – Durham, North Carolina
- First Independence Bank – Detroit, Michigan
- First State Bank – Danville, Virginia
- Illinois Service Federal – Chicago, Illinois
- Unity National Bank – Houston, Texas
- Carver Federal Savings Bank – New York, New York
- OneUnited Bank – Miami, Florida
- OneUnited Bank – Boston, Massachusetts
- Tri-State Bank – Memphis, Tennesse
- Citizens Bank – Nashville, Tennessee
- South Carolina Community Bank – Columbia, South Carolina
- Columbia Savings and Loan – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Liberty Bank – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Liberty Bank – Kansas City, Missouri
- Citizen Trust Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
- Liberty Bank – Chicago, Illinois
- Liberty Bank – Jackson, Mississippi
- Toledo Urban Credit Union – Toledo, Ohio
- Hill District Credit Union – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania